Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Service

It's that time of year again: Give me presents! Ok, ok, maybe some of you are always selfless and your children are already perfect, but for me it's a constant battle to stay on the straight and narrow. I am, however, someone who is big on service. I love to give and I wish I had millions of dollars to just go buy presents and do things for people. My mom told me once that I will never be rich, because I just give too much away. What a nice compliment!

Now that I am done tooting my own horn I am going to get you guys motivated. It's the Christmas season and lots of people need our help. I would like everyone who reads this to do one act of service for someone in need this holiday season. It seems to be especially hard this year for a lot of people. It doesn't have to be something big. You could go through your pantry and fill a grocery bag and take it to the food bank. Or you could find someone in your neighborhood or ward who needs some help and do the 12 days of Christmas or even one gift per child. There is someone you know that needs help this year. Be on the look out for ways you can serve. Maybe you can give someone a holiday dinner. Or you could donate one small toy to the local toy drive. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, but I encourage everyone to do something for someone else. Involve your kids and they will learn so much from your example. Plus it will be fun! I love to leave presents on someones door, knock, and run. What a rush! Make it fun, exciting, and educational!

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." Mosiah 2:17

Christ spent his life among the poor and needy not among the rich. We need to follow that example and become humble and serve. Do our kids really need 100 new toys? Not really. Especially mine who are only 2 and 4. They have no idea! Collin has been playing with the styrofoam that the new TV came in. It's a castle. :)

You have officially been challenged. I want comments on here of what you and your family have done or will do. I love hearing stories of service.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

sound like fun still need to think of what to do. good idea

Suzanne said...

I love you for many things, but especially this one. Let me 2nd the above, you really are a naturally service oriented person. Yes, you will never be rich, but a true giver will never be poor either. The more you give the more you realize what you have.

I love this challenge. I'm in. I loved that part about where Christ was when he was here. That gave me chills, whatta cool thought.

And I love what you said about kids being so young that they don't notice if they gets tons of stuff or not.

You are my inspiration!