Friday, December 5, 2008

I finally figured it out...



So I finally figured out what being a stay at home mom means, to me at least. I love my kids very much, but it's been hard for me to be a stay at home mom. I like to work and I like to bring home money. Some people are just natural home makers, but I am just not one of them. That doesn't mean that I am not a good mom-it's just not as natural to me. It has taken me since April 5, 2004 to figure out what being a stay at home mom really is.

A stay at home mom is:
-Someone who makes and cleans up meals 24/7/365
-Someone who dresses, cleans, and combs hair of the children
-Someone who organizes, plans, and mails check for the entire household activities
-Someone who teaches her kids everything she knows, whether she means to or not

All of those things and more are the obvious things that fall under the category of regular stay at home mom activities. I have known all these things (and secretly rebelled against them) for a while now. But what was it for me? What is this mom thing really all about? Those reasons reallyweren't enough to settle down and just accept my mommy duties. I still wanted to work outside the home.
I have changed my mind now about all of it. I have found the real reason that mommy's staying home is important: Mommy's need to be available for whatever life throws at her family, good or bad.
That's it! Simple, right? Brody was up last night sick and then just miserable all day today. If I worked outside the home how would that have affected him? What a hassle to get off work or have my parents watch the kids because no daycare would take a sick kid. Also my husbands schedule is pretty set, but there are a few things this month that are different, a Christmas party in Texas (no kids!) and then 2 weeks off over Christmas. What if I had to work!? How terrible would that be to turn down a getaway weekend with my husband! Or to not be able to spend every second of his Christmas break together. (I hope we get a chance to take Collin skiing.) Also my sister needed a babysitter today because things fell through for her and she had to get to work. I was available.
I have a new outlook on this whole motherhood thing. I am very grateful to be able to stay at home with my kids, because not everyone has that option. And yes, some days will be filled with boredom and routine, but I am there for my kids when they need me. How exciting! It's like a whole new lease in life. :) All you good moms out there probably think I am totally crazy. Well, you are probably right. ;)

3 comments:

Amber Grannis said...

Amen, sista! But don't get discouraged if every now and then you still kinda wish you could evaporate and not have to play mommy for a few minutes...happens to me at least once a day! ;)

Brenda said...

I love reading your blogs Gel! Keep it up.

Marsha said...

I only wish I could stay at home with Alise. I think if I did i would be in my PJ's all day. you are a wonderful mom and sil love ya