Monday, June 1, 2009

May Food Budget

May was the first month that I kept EVERY receipt to see how much I spent in a month. I knew I was saving and stockpiling food, but I wanted to know exactly what I spent. At the grocery stores (mostly Albertson's) and Walgreens I spent $333.89 and I got two produce baskets that totaled $38.50. Grand total = $372.39!!! I know it still might sound like a lot to some of you, but that includes DIAPERS, cleaning supplies, a large fruit tray we brought to a party, an evening run to buy ice cream not on sale, and a few other little luxuries all while building our 3 month supply. I love it. I used to spend about $125 a week and run out of food by the end of the week. Now I spend less than that and have food storage and tons of fresh produce around!! After I feel like I have a complete stock pile of food then I will only buy things on super duper sale! Can't wait to get to that point. Maybe a few more months. Plus I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to be done with diapers (about a $50/month bill) by the end of the summer. We will see. I challenge everyone, especially those of you who have already started couponing, to keep track of all your expenses this month. I just put all my receipts in a pile and added them up today. Easy! This will help you track your spending to see how much you are really saving. Plus it gives you warm fuzzies at the end of the month when you save a lot. ;) Good luck and happy couponing!!!
P.S. Although Spell Check says "couponing" is not a word it really is. Especially on this blog. :)

1 comment:

Gel said...

I guess there were 3 Saturdays that I got my produce in May. Add $16.50 to that total. :)