Monday, June 22, 2009

Mommy Advice Column

I have always wanted to write a book about kids. Not necessarily child raising, but specifically traveling with kids, considering I have done so much of it. But I do have a few other ideas or little sayings for day to day mommyhood as well. One of them is "Only give a child as much to drink as you are willing to clean up." Also my motivation for getting kids to clean up is so simple and obvious, but I totally missed it as a first time parent. I heard it on a morning show back when I had time to watch TV during the day. If you want your child to clean up, then clean along side him as well. If your child knows you are working together or even if you are doing your mommy jobs in the other room while they clean up their toys, it makes it easier for them to stay motivated. It's a family affair. I always do a load of dishes while the boys make the front room vacuum ready. They know I am working and that they are not being punished, but rather doing a family activity even if it's just cleaning up together. By the time I am done with the dishes the front room is clean and I am ready to vacuum. Sometimes we race each other too. Boys love a good race. Anyway, that is my parenting advice for the day. I really need to write that travel book though. Someday.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

That is good advice. The race thing always works for us too!