Monday, November 17, 2008

To Work or Not To Work??

So I had my first night of work. I was supposed to work in the childcare of the gym from 4-8pm. First of all let me just say that the lady who hired me is a little kooky. I guess just let me start at the beginning.
I heard that the gym was hiring on Thursday last week. I thought it would be a great little job to get me out of the house and to keep me busy. I interviewed on the spot, sweaty head to toe, and the interview went really well. She said she would call me Monday to let me know because she had a few more interviews. She calls me Saturday and left me a message telling me my schedule. Um, ok, so I guess I got the job. I called her back to tell her that I would have to rearrange my hours on Wednesday morning because Collin has preschool, but the other two days were fine. No problem, she says.
So I arrive today for my first 4-8 shift. Turns out she hired me to clean the gym and only help out when the childcare became too full. There were 3 other girls working in there and the law permits only a certain ratio of children to childcare workers. Um, ok, I guess. I had to vacuum the gym during one of the busiest times of the day! Not to mention that the vacuum was a jet pak you strap to your back. So embarrassing!! The stupid thing electricuted me too! LOL! I burned my two fingers on an exposed wire. What an idiot! :)
Then she tells me that she needs me to work next week doing the cleaning while she is on vacation. She said it takes about 4 hours per day and I can come in whenever. This wasn't a question, I was on the schedule. So I would be working every day next week. Then a little later I start to pick up a little more info from her. (The woman is more scatterbrained than I am.) She wants me to do the cleaning, yes, but she also needs me to cover all her childcare times too. What!! So Tues, Wed, Fri, and Sat I would have to work from 8:45 am - 1pm with the 3-4 hours of cleaning either before or after. Are you insane!?!
Sorry, but a whopping $6.50 an hour is not worth screwing up my Thanksgiving. My husband is out of town all the time and I am going to enjoy the time that he is here. Plus my girlfriend, Lynne, from Hawaii is coming to town and she is taking me back to the temple. (First time since August. )
Oh and she tells me that we are not supposed to wear jeans. The dress code is black or khaki (tacky as she called it) pants or capris. She said it like I should have known. Oops, I wore jeans. Crazy me, I thought I would just be playing with some kids in a room with the door shut! Anyway I am going to quit after one day.
Collin and Brody were both sick of being there that long so I am not going to torture my children. We don't really need the money, although extra money is always accepted here. :)
Anyway it's going to be a little awkward going back to exercise at the gym that I just quit my job from. Thank goodness I don't give a crap!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

You are so funny. She kind of sounds like me i think everyone can read my mind. (crazy lady)