Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Decorating Style...

Amber sent me this email and I just have been laughing and laughing all morning!

"Hey Gel! I’m thinkin’ about what I want to send you for your birthday. (Did Collin ever get his package?) And I have an idea what I’d like to order, but before I do I need an idea of what your colors are in your house. Do you have a particular decorating style? Are there certain colors or styles you DO NOT like?"

Ok, this is the sleeper sofa. Darrell's company provided some furniture, new and used, for us. They got this from a place that buys hotel furniture when hotels do remodels. This sofa already had some stains, but we have really made a mess of things ourselves. The light tan color shows everything. A friend gave me a cover, but it didn't fit right, so I should just go buy one so I am not a complete embarrassment

.



Here is another great Craigslist find. It was $5! The kids just love it, especially Brody. He thinks he is such a big boy.


Here is our fine dining table. The guy that lived here before us sold it to us for $100. It is in pretty good shape, besides the fact that it needs to be wiped off. :)




Now this precious gem of an entertainment center was a great find. First of all the TV is obvious a hotel TV that Darrell's company got for us. It's really big and works great for us. As you can see we are watching "Max and Ruby." This was a Craiglist find and it was free!



Now here is a closer view of the "entertainment center." You can see that the hinges go the other way. We have turned it on it's side. We couldn't figure out what to do with that wierd growth off the side of it so we just turned it on its side. The kids love to play in the shelves anyway. I mean who am I kidding anyway, if I put anything on shelves that low then it would be pulled out and all over the floor. Might as well just play in it.




Oh and this is our computer desk. What's that you say? You think it looks like the edge of our entertainment center with a kitchen chair pulled up to it? Well, you'd be right. You just gotta go with the flow here.



Now this dresser is a real find. It obviously from the 70's. The white dresser was just not good enough alone because someone added a reflective material to the front of the dresser. Beautiful! I paid $30 and on Maui, that is a steal of a deal!




Now this is one piece of furniture that I really like. I can keep all my movies, books, and school stuff locked in this cabinet in my room. I think I paid $20!





Last but not least: The bed. It's a full size bed, another gem that Darrell's company provided for us. It was nice to have some furniture already set up for us when we got here, but a full size bed is not working for me. Darrell is a wild sleeper. A few nights ago he elbowed me in the eye - Scared the S*#@ out of me. Dead asleep and then.....whamo! Not fun.


So there you have it. That is the furniture in my house. Pathetic and embarrassing, I know, but it is too expensive to buy anything new or nice. Garage sales and craigslist totally rule around here. So Amber, I guess the answer to my style type is: Salvation Army Chic.

3 comments:

Amber Grannis said...

Salvation Army Chic, it is! I am chuckling over here...you're funny Gel.

Lydia said...

You are funny. I love the style. Would you rather be packing nice furniture from place to place, getting banged up every time? Hardly any of the furniture in my house matches. Oh well, what can ya do right?

Harleys said...

I know - you have no clue who I am. But I googled "My Decorating Style" to help a friend with her new home, and I found you. I LOVE your style :). I have a feeling it's called "we're not in debt, we own it all." Your family is blessed that you all are willing to enjoy what you own.