Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gym - 2, Gel - 0

So I have started back to the gym. It's actually my second week, but let's forget last week all together! There were play groups and preschool meetings and anyway I started over this week.
So yesterday I take the kids in and Brody is crying and will not stop. I guess crying is an understatement, because I could still hear him all the way across the gym and the kids room door was shut. Well I told the sweet daycare girl that I would be back in 10 minutes and see if he has stopped. Well I ran and came back and he was still screaming 10 minutes later so I guess I had to go. Dang! Just getting everyone ready and to the gym is half the battle. Oh well. I am pretty sure he wasn't feeling well so it would be selfish to make him try to stay.
So then we try again today. The daycare gal that actually plays with the kids was working today. She is really nice and Collin likes her. They were playing some Madagascar game and I guess Collin just got so into it that he peed his pants. I think that he was just trying to hold it because he was having too much fun to go to the bathroom. He actually hasn't had an accident since he was potty trained so this is actually extremely unusual for him. So the gal came and got me. I was thinking that Brody was crying again, but it was an entirely different problem. I actually was just finishing a good 30 minute run and I still needed to cool down, but I guess I had to count rounding up the kids and walking to the car as my cool down today. I was a sweaty mess. Oh well , at least I got my run it. I can't complain about that. Just 2 days without a complete workout.
It has been so much harder to get back to the gym with 2 kids than it ever was with just 1. I started going to the gym when Collin was about 7 months old. I gained about 45 pounds with Collin, but I was living in la-la land and I thought the weight would just fall off. I know 45 pounds is a lot, but when you know I had a 9 pound baby you can see why I was so big. I really thought I would go right back to my normal weight in about 3-4 months. Ha! Boy was I an idiot. So when Collin turned 7 months I decided not much was going to change unless I hit the gym. I started going and I really didn't know what I was doing. It was an all women's gym, which I loved, and the teachers were very informative. I was going 5-6 times a week and loving it. It was "Me" time. I could just clear my head, get healthy, and not have to think about changing diapers for one hour every day.
I went to that gym for about 6 months and then we moved. I was able to find gyms everywhere we went and I really enjoyed it. I actually was going to the gym 4 times a week when I was pregnant with Brody. The last month of my pregnancy I was doing the elliptical 30 minutes a day - 4 times a week. I literally was at the gym the day before Brody was born. Am I crazy or what? These huge body builder guys called me "Baby's Mama" and they couldn't believe I was still at the gym. Kind of funny.

Sidebar - I still gained the 45 pounds, but all but 10-15 pounds really did fall off right after (within about 2-3 months.) I was in great shape. I had that 9 lb 8 oz boy naturally and it was a great experience.

Ever since Brody was born though it has been really hard to get back. When we were in Vernal (3 months) I went to the gym pretty faithfully, but I didn't lose all the baby weight yet. Then we moved to Neola. There were gyms in Roosevelt, but not with child care. I bought a treadmill and some weights, but it was next to impossible to do it at home. I pretty much gave that up after 2 months. Besides I broke my foot and hurt (broke?) my tail bone.
So this is the first real gym I have been to in about 9 months. I really excited to get back in shape. I just love being by myself. I think that people think I am rude at the gym for not talking to them or making friends, but that is not why I am there. I am there to be by myself. It's the only time of day I don't have someone needing something from me. I can just let my thoughts wander. I can watch the news. I can read gossip magazines. I love it!

So Mr. Gym Devil - I will be back tomorrow. I will even the score!

1 comment:

brookiebaby said...

WOW! 9 pounds!! Naturally?!?!!?!
THat's what's crazy! But good job on keeping on the gym scence. You're right it's soo good for you mentally! I dont' know about the taking time away from diapers, but it gives me time to clear my mind from other stuff! Hang in there! You will even out the score! P.S. you motivate me for when I'm prego...who knows when that will be, but you do! :)
LUVS!