Saturday, March 8, 2008

Kahului Flea Market



















So we went to the local flea market this morning. I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it might only be a huge tourist trap with overpriced souvenirs, but I was pleasantly surprise that there were a lot of good deals on more than just key chains and postcards (although there were a lot of touristy things too.)

There were a lot of normal things that you would find at any flea market: jewelry, knock off purses, tshirts, etc.



A lot of the jewelry was being assembled right there on site. Very beautiful.



These are wood carved fish and whales. I just thought they looked interesting.













These little coconut guys were actually incense burners. The incense smoke came out the mouths. A lot of people were selling incense, probably because there are a lot of pot heads around here. :)
There was a huge selection of fresh flowers. Exotic, tropical, and very beautiful. I think that I am going to pick some of these up next time. What is it about fresh flowers? I just wish that I could afford to have them in my house all the time.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

You gotta love flea markets. I think this is the prime opportunity for you to learn braid a ti leaf. Add some dendrobiums, and bam you have a lei. You could get yourself a little stand and sell them next to the exotic flowers.

But seriously, it is always amazing to me the plethora of beautiful flowers that are there.

Amber Grannis said...

I love fresh flowers! If I was any level of cool, I'd grow my own garden of long stem roses and indigenous and exotic flowers to cut myself and put in my house...in the kitchen, the living room, the master, the bathroom...but not the kid's rooms. I'd just find obliterated flower petals crushed into the carpet, a broken vase, and old flower water poured onto the TV. Gorgeous local flowers for you, tho! Take advantage while you can...you should splurge and buy fresh ones every Friday!