Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Tribute to Edna Jean

She would murder me if she knew I called her that. That's my Grandma Ward, and she only goes by Jean. Don't even bring up Edna unless you have a half hour to waste listening to her talk about "What a terrible name" or "How can you name a child that" etc........
Anyway that's not what this blog is about. I just want to share with you some funny and extremely bizarre songs/poems that she taught my dad and he shared with me growing up.

Here's a classic:

"There's a soldier in the grass with a bullet in his
Don't be alarmed
It's only in his arm."


And then there's"

"The Slithereedee crawled out of the sea.
He may catch the others,
but he won't.........."


And then this is the only part that I remember of this one:

"She's got freckles on her butt -She's nice."

I don't get that one.


Anyway this is the sort of crazy that I come from. Are these your typical children's songs? No, but that's my family for you. I would say to share these with your children, but I wouldn't if I was you. They might turn out like me! :)

3 comments:

Amber Grannis said...

I love the one about the soldier in the grass. Here's something funny...I was scrolling down your blog and passed the picture of Collin on the right and Haleigh hollered out "Hey, I can't see me anymore!" She thought it was a picture of her! LOL! It's gotta be the wild blond hair and crazy smile. Anyway, I thought it was cute.

Anonymous said...

Miss Susie had a steamboat
the steamboat had a bell
Miss Susie went to heaven
the steamboat went to
Hello operator please give me number nine
and if you disconnect me
I'll kick you from behind
the refrigerator there was a piece of glass
Miss Susie sat upon it and cut her little
ask me no more questions
tell me no more lies
the boys are in the bathroom zipping up their
flies are in the meadow,
the bees are in the park
Miss Susie and her boyfriend are kissing in the
dark is like a movie
a movie's like a show
a show is like a tv screen and that is all
i know i know my ma
i know i know my pa
i know i know my sister with the 80 acre alligator bra

this is one we would sing when we were kids so you might have married into the crazy also

Lydia said...

AAAhhh good old Grandma Ward. I have always said the soldier one to Hunter. He only finally got the joke once learned about rhyming. I love it!

If she has freckles on her butt it means she has been naked outside in the sun. Funny! I know this because my butt and my stomach are about the only places I DON'T have freckles!